Re: [hylafax-users] It was a good try at Open Source....

On 2004.03.08 11:21 Frank Griffith wrote:
Not to sound ungrateful, but if you solved the issue for me twice it
went right over my head both times.

I didn't say I solved it. I said I explained it and gave you advice.

"But, they hang up. Guess they didn't want to really send you this
fax."

I'm trying to figure out how that solved my problem....

It wasn't supposed to solve anything. It was meant to explain the corrupt page. You never continued the threads long enough or provided us with enough useful debugging information to let us help you solve it. If you receive a page of corrupt TIFF and request retransmission and then the sender chooses to hang up then the last page will be corrupt. If faxing between two stations regularly ends up with a corrupt page, but between other stations there is no problem, then there's likely a problem with the modulator on the HylaFAX modem or with the modulator on the remote station, or there's something seriously wrong with connectivity (noise, static).

To test, you swap hardware with a different make and model. If the error persists then the problem probably has to do with connectivity. If it doesn't, then you blame it on a flaky modem. Almost all USRs are flaky in one way or another. Swapping a USR with a USR isn't debugging.

I then went to the front office and from another fax machine (in the
same area code) sent this server 2, 3, and 10 page faxes without a
hitch. The next morning they tried again from the out of town offices
and we got garbage again. So we had them send it to the fax machine in
our receiptionist office and had no problems, no matter how many pages
or how many times they resend.

Most fax machines support ECM. HylaFAX 4.1.8 and earlier does not support ECM in Class 1 and then only in Class 2 if the modem supports it internally. HylaFAX CVS HEAD does support ECM in Class 1. So you could have used CVS to have seen the real crutch of the matter as far as corrupt data went.

In another reply you said to swap out the modem. The modem works fine
because it does all the other tasks we ask of it.

Your logic here is not sound. I can have a car that drives well in all gears but 5th, but when used in 5th gear it fails. Is my car still considered to be working fine? You have a modem that works well with all senders except the one you had problems with.

I tested it
thoroughly, but knowing it could be anything, I did swap out the
modem. Same results. I thought it could be something like noisy phone
lines so we swapped those out too. Same results.

So why didn't you reply after doing this saying that it did not help?

We brought in a standard $100 fax machine and put it on the same phone
line and it works everytime. This is what they meant by "we told you
so!" and what I meant by saying the issue was never resolved.

Again, most fax machines support ECM, so the fax reception is done in a completely different way. It's like comparing a photocopier to a scanner - they are similar, but they don't work the same.