Re: [hylafax-users] Ignoring voice calls

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 12:11:30PM -0500, Pete Payne wrote:
> >> But won't HylaFax still pick up in 6 rings (or whatever I define) and
> then the caller is >> left talking to the fax server?  Maybe I didn't make
> my goal specific enough, but I'd
> >> like HylaFax to decide that the incoming call isn't a fax transmission
> and then let my
> >> answering machine begin working.  I know some of Hewlett-Packard's
> multifunction printers >> with fax capability can do this, which led me to
> think that perhaps HylaFax can too. It's >> my understanding that the HP
> system will "listen in" on incoming calls, and if it detects >> a fax
> transmission, it will handle that call as such.  But if it doesn't detect a
> fax
> >> transmission, it just does nothing, letting the person or the answering
> machine do their >> thing.  Is this what HylaFax does?
>
> > Well, how is Hylafax or any other answerer to know that a given incoming
> call is Voice or > Fax?   You can do this, but not without distinctive ring.
> Distinctive ring can be used by > Hylafax to decide wheather to answer the
> call.  Otherwise, the call must be answered in
> > order to determine its type.  For this you can use either your modem
> card's adaptive
> > answer features or Hylafax's.
>
> I'll look again into the distinctive ring feature and whether my local phone
> company provides it.  If not, then maybe it's time I upgraded my modem to a
> Class 2.0 and took advantage of those features.  Thanx for the help!

To clarify: unless you're using distinctive ring (or it's ISDN
equivalent, MDN, a sort of baby-DID), you have to *answer* the line to
decide whether a call is a fax or not -- this is about 99% reliable
these days; fax machines that *don't* send CNG tones are pretty much
long dead.

Alas, there then isn't any *ring* to make your answering machine work.

So, if you really want to do this, you're going to have to look into
having faxgetty hand off to vgetty if it doesn't get a fax connect in,
oh, say, 5 seconds or so.

The *optimal* way to do this would be to start playing an outgoing
message almost immediately, and switch modes to fax if you *do* hear
CNG tones... but that's much less trivial.

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")