Re: [hylafax-users] Ignoring voice calls

>>> What to do:  Just don't worry about it!!  Hylafax's default
configuration is to disable >>> voice and data capability.  Just run
faxaddmodem for Class 1 and you're done!   The much >>> harder thing to do
is to get voice and data capability to work, especially with Class
>>> 1 modems.  If you're not interested in these features, then don't enter
an adaptive
>>> answer line( or any other extra lines beyond that setup with
faxaddmodem) in the config >>> file at all.

>> But won't HylaFax still pick up in 6 rings (or whatever I define) and
then the caller is >> left talking to the fax server?  Maybe I didn't make
my goal specific enough, but I'd
>> like HylaFax to decide that the incoming call isn't a fax transmission
and then let my
>> answering machine begin working.  I know some of Hewlett-Packard's
multifunction printers >> with fax capability can do this, which led me to
think that perhaps HylaFax can too. It's >> my understanding that the HP
system will "listen in" on incoming calls, and if it detects >> a fax
transmission, it will handle that call as such.  But if it doesn't detect a
fax
>> transmission, it just does nothing, letting the person or the answering
machine do their >> thing.  Is this what HylaFax does?

> Well, how is Hylafax or any other answerer to know that a given incoming
call is Voice or > Fax?   You can do this, but not without distinctive ring.
Distinctive ring can be used by > Hylafax to decide wheather to answer the
call.  Otherwise, the call must be answered in
> order to determine its type.  For this you can use either your modem
card's adaptive
> answer features or Hylafax's.

I'll look again into the distinctive ring feature and whether my local phone
company provides it.  If not, then maybe it's time I upgraded my modem to a
Class 2.0 and took advantage of those features.  Thanx for the help!

Pete