Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax FSP DLL for Windows 2000/XP

Dmitry,
First of all, I commend you taking the time to develop such an interesting
DLL for integration with HylaFax.  And second, thank you for actually
bringing this topic to the HylaFax forum.

My thoughts on this matter are as follows.  I have keyed in on your comments
that you want to provide minimal to no support to this software.  This leads
me to think the DLL should be released GPL (at a place like
sourceforge.net).  This allows others to update the software and to learn
how it works.  This should relieve you of the support time required for the
product.

You do not need to release the TIFF library in the public domain.  But you
should publicly release the specs on how the TIFF library functions in
explicit detail.  You only need to document how your DLL calls the TIFF
library and what it will produce in response.  That way, if someone wants to
"reverse engineer" the TIFF library, then let them write GPL TIFF software
so that the entire system becomes GPL.  Though I suspect a lot of people
will be happy to use your closed TIFF library.

I personally love your idea of having HylaFax integrate into Windows like it
is a virtual fax device.  It finally makes HylaFax seamless (and hidden) for
the end user.  This is the same reason why Samba is such a popular and
important application... end users can continue using their computer like
they are used to without knowing (or caring) what Operating System is
storing their data files.  As long as it works, end users are very, very
happy.

Cheers.

--- Charles