Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax FSP DLL for Windows 2000/XP

--- Dmitry Bely <dbely@mail.ru> wrote:
> > Aaah, I understand your problem now. If the fax
> fails,
> > re-sending the file you loose quality.
>
> Excuse me, but IMHO that's nonsense. When Hylafax
> resends the job (having
> BUSY response from remote or other negative answer),
> it uses just the same
> TIFF as in the first attempt (maybe reformated from
> 2D-MR to 1D-MR, but it
> does not affect the image quatily). What I am
> talking about, is
> TTF fonts->Postscript->bitmap conversion during
> printing, that Ghostscript
> does very bad (probably loosing font hints etc.) On
> the contrary, Windows
> fax service does that in one step (TTF
> fonts->bitmap), and the quality is
> excellent. See attached bitmaps for an example how
> the same test text is
> rasterized.

Misunderstood here, my fault. Here, if a fax failled,
I modified notify.awk to attach the fax in the email
warning about the failure. The user don't needed
create or search for the document. Previously I use
postscript format but if you resend the fle you do
Postcrit->Postscript->Tiff. In the second step you
loose quality. With PDF that doesn't happen. But you
don't find a PDF print driver for windows so easy.

> I ask about
> that on the list and you know what? Just change the
> notify.awk to attach the failed fax in PDF format
and
> you will never loose quality again.
>
> <snip>
>
> My apologies Dmitry. I shoulded read the text more
> carefully but I was a bit tired :-))). Just one
> question, why sending files in draft mode?

It's twice faster (so twice cheaper for long distance
calls), and
Windows
draft mode is better than Ghostscript normal one :-)

- Dmitry Bely

Still sleeping :-)