Re: [hylafax-users] hylafax sending to wrong number! :(

Quoting Landry Moulard <lmoulard@cornut.fr>:

> here is my configuration : a linux hylafax server hylafax-4.1.3-1rh7,
> on the same phone line i've got a CanonL800 Fax. The problem is, when
> a fax is sent in the same time on linux hylafax (recipient A )and on
> the CanonFax (recipient B), recipient A receives the fax that
> recipient B should have received!! in other words : the 2 numbers are
> inversed, faxes go to wrong number!

With such a setup, one of the two users should get both faxes... what
happends is something in the line of (that may not be exactly how it
happends. i.e. after signaling the number, the two faxes could try to
establish the connection and one of them would have given up before the
other...):

[Fax1] Pick up line, check for tone
[Fax2] Pick up line, check for tone
[Fax1] Finds tone
[Fax2] Finds tone
[Fax1] Signal fax number
[Fax2] Signal fax number (while it's ringing)
[Fax1] Hear noise on the line (Fax2 signaling)
[Fax1] Aborts
[Fax2] Establishes communication with remote
[Fax2] Sends fax to wrong number

Later, Fax1 sends it's fax to the intended recipients...

> Have you ever seen that? have you got a solution?

I've seen it happend when we had a user with winfax using the same line as
our HylaFAX server, he does not use winfax anymore... :)

A solution would be to use one of those box that permits sharing of line
between phone, fax and modem. As soon as one of the machine picks up the
line, the other machine's line will return busy if picked up.

--
Patrice Fournier
pfournier@loups.net