Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax vs mgetty and sendfax

Am Die, 2002-09-24 um 17.57 schrieb Brian Johnson:
> Does that handle auto-login from Windows clients?
>
> Do they all login under one username or are can all users use their own user
> id and password?
>
> Does anyone know if there are advantages to Hylafax that justify the switch
> from mgetty and sendfax?
Having used it both, actually I'm also using efax, I can provide you
with the following analogy (considering fax support):
efax            <->       bike
mgetty+sendfax  <->       van
hylafax         <->       truck.

You can move stuff with all of these, but Hylafax is surely the solution
for heavy duty faxing.

efax is a completely manual solution. Acceptable if you have low volume
and an old Unix user, ...

mgetty is a bit better, but it doesn't know how to schedule faxes well
(not even with one modem, and with two modems it's just broken)

hylafax is inteliquent enough, that you can cohabitate it with WUs
(Window Users).

On the other hand, hylafax can be a bit tougher to setup than the other
solutions.

Additional points: (Check it yourself, this is only from memory)
efax is GPL, mgetty is liberal non-commercial, hylafax is BSD style
licensed.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kostyrka <andreas@kostyrka.priv.at>