Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax vs mgetty and sendfax

On 2002.09.24 08:23 Brian Johnson wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with these two software packages - I'm
> trying to
> figure out which one to use

I'm fairly well acquainted with mgetty+sendfax and HylaFAX.

> I currently have mgetty set up to auto start ppp connections for
> incoming
> phone
> calls so have a tendency to stick with it and it's sendfax package
>
> But it looks like Hylafax will do something similar and has a cups
> printer
> driver
> and windows clients (for my heterogeneous network) that make it look
> appealing

I've not seen a successful configuration of faxgetty receiving data
calls.  With a good modem (capable of distinguishing between
FAX/DATA/VOICE in its Class 2) this may be possible.  Otherwise you'd
configure mgetty to send fax calls to faxgetty or faxanswer (depending
on how mgetty works).  I've not done this myself.

As for compare & contrast, I'll let you investigate this yourself, but
in short, HylaFAX has more features (both in sending or delivery
functions and fax protocol itself) than mgetty+sendfax.  I'd tend to
believe that HylaFAX offers a more solid fax protocol, especially since
HylaFAX offers Class 1 support.

But, I'm prejudiced.