Re: [hylafax-users] Multi-page fax coming through as seperate faxes

On 2002.09.06 08:37 Michael T. Babcock wrote:
> We have at least one person sending faxes to our HylaFax machine
> where the received faxes come in as multiple faxes instead of
> multiple pages. Their fax machine seems to send an "EOM" I guess,

EOM means End Of Message (but not EOP, End Of Procedure, or no more
pages).  So, technically the remote fax machine is telling us that the
correctly creates a new TIFF for each message.  EOM is commonly used to
"batch" faxes together.  If the sender is sending EOM unintentionally,
then they must be doing something with their machine which is
triggering it... like feeding the second page after too long a wait...
or something.

> causing our fax viewing software and procedures to be quite confused
> about what constitues "a fax".

You must be referring to something other than the default notification
mechanism, as it should list separate TIFFs for each message.

> Is this a bug in the software / their fax machine, and is there a
> workaround / upgrade?

Not a bug in HylaFAX, I can assure you.  It may be a bug in the
sender's fax machine, but it's more likely an error in the way they
send faxes.  No workaround available for this correct behavior.  You
could hack faxgetty to treat EOM similar to MPS if you really want,
though.