Re: [hylafax-users] Email to fax solution for firewalled server

Am Mit, 2002-08-28 um 16.39 schrieb Chris Mason:
> So far, hylafax has been a dream to install and reliable to use, I love
> it.
> I have been trying to get away from windows fax software for a while.
> I am running a Redhat 7.2 server and I have added hylafax to it, and the
> faxes are converted to PDFs and emailed to me. Just great.
> My next problem is this.
> I want some people to be able to send an email to an address on my
> public server. The internal server uses fetchmail to collect all the
> mail for that domain's catchall account and delivers it through procmail
> to an IMAP account, putting al the mail in folders according to the
> procmail recipes.
Well, Email does have some unwanted properties like being trivial to
spoof (if you know the format expected, ... but that's security by
obscurity at best).

What I did, was setup a SMB printer that receives Postscript from
Windows drivers. In theory it's irrelevant where the postscript comes
from.

Afterwards I parse the postscript with pstotext
(http://research.compaq.com/SRC/virtualpaper/pstotext.php)
and search the text for the Text "per Fax: [-/ 0-9]+". (This is german
for "via fax: number")
If I do not find it, I just print to document on an enclosed printer.
If I do find it, I fax it :)

With some additional tweaks, you can get Word to fax Serial Faxes
without any
- special Fax clients installed,
- special Fax Macros.

Andreas