Re: [hylafax-users] tif file sizes.

Richard,

> Does anyone know why hylafax keeps the tiff sizes so small.
> Images that we scan in as tiffs at 300dpi resolution with
> our document scanner are up to 10 times the size of the
> hylafax's incoming faxes. can anyone suggest how I can get
> the size of these files more in-line with those tiffs that
> hylafax creates?

G3/G4 TIFFs are only black&white images, resolution is 204 x 98 dpi
(normal resolution) or 204 x 196 dpi (high resolution). A scan of
300 x 300 dpi is 2-4 times larger. AFAIK, scanning software doesn't
support G3/G4 format, but only LZW compression or no compression at
all. If you scan a document using 8 Bit grayscale, size increases by
~8 times again. The only way I can think of, is to reduce resolution
to 200 x 200 dpi, because your scanning software won't support
different resolution at width and height, I guess. You might use
libtiff to create G3/G4 faxes with the same size, you may download
it somewhere at SourceForge (sorry can't remember the link). This is
also available for Windows.

Best Regards
Bodo

Bodo Noering Consulting
Zur Alten Faehre 23 . D-45219 Essen
Phone +49-2054-971790 . Fax +49-2054-971791
bn@urania.com . http://www.urania.com

Highend Fax: HylaFAXR (www.hylafax.org)
and Cypheus (www.cypheus.de)