[hylafax-users] faxing problems - lucent win/linmodem

I am running Mandrake 8.2 on an IBM Thinkpad 1412.  This laptop has a lucent
winmodem in it that I have working  in linux using the linmodem driver.

I am trying to get hylafax working with this system with no success thus far.
I get MUCH farther with efax, in that I get dialtone, dialing, negotiation,
and an attempt to send a fax (though it ultimately fails apparently due to an
improper response from the fax on the receiving end).

Hylafax gets nowhere near as far as efax...not even a dialtone.

I have run probemodem and it got all the poop on my modem.  I have done
faxsetup.  I have checked everything I can think of but being new to setting
up a fax on linux I am not sure what I'd be looking for anyway.

In trying to send a fax via "Print to Fax" in KDE 2.2.2 with CUPS, I get this
in the Kdeprintfax log:

Sending to fax using: /usr/bin/sendfax -h 'localhost'  -d
'recipient'@'5551212' -x '' -c '' -f 'praedor'
/home/praedor/.kde/tmp-lapdog.ravenhome.net/kdeprint_Iic2VKw

request id is 10 (group id 10) for host localhost (1 file)

Thus, it appears to have qeued but nothing happens.  In /var/log/messages is:

Aug 13 11:35:35 lapdog FaxQueuer[17875]: Missing ':' separator in modem group
specification
Aug 13 11:35:35 lapdog FaxQueuer[17875]: HylaFAX (tm) Version 4.1
Aug 13 11:35:35 lapdog FaxQueuer[17875]: Copyright (c) 1990-1996 Sam
LefflerAug 13 11:35:35 lapdog FaxQueuer[17875]: Copyright (c) 1991-1996
Silicon Graphics, Inc.
Aug 13 11:35:35 lapdog hylafax: faxq startup succeeded
Aug 13 11:35:35 lapdog HylaFAX[17888]: HylaFAX INET Protocol Server:
restarted.
Aug 13 11:35:35 lapdog hylafax: hfaxd startup succeeded
Aug 13 11:35:41 lapdog HylaFAX[17898]: Filesystem has SysV-style file
creation semantics.
Aug 13 11:35:41 lapdog FaxQueuer[17875]: SUBMIT JOB 10

Once again, no sign of difficulty, but nothing happens.

I have tried sending with and without faxgetty running.  I have tried
restarting hylafax.  I have installed all the mgetty packages in hopes that
it would fix whatever is wrong (on an assumption that I was missing
something).

If I try to run faxsetup again, it will fail because it will get to a point,
say that faxq is running and there are jobs (the queued-but-never-to-be-sent
fax attempts).  It will try to kill them by pid but will inevitably fail.  I
have tried and tried.

So, how do I get hylafax working?  How do I get a list of queued fax jobs
that I can kill off (like with lpq and lpqrm)?

praedor