Re: [hylafax-users] DS-hylagate / Digital Sender Page up

Hi Gary !

> If I read it right, you still need a Windows machine running a program
> or two right? I guess I miss how this works. If I still have the Windows
> machine accepting the fax from the DS, what stops the normal DS software
> from faxing it out? How does your program intercept it to send it to
> Hylafax?

Yes, you are right. Well the thing is really easy - the Digital Sender
Service is not a fax software. It is just a driver that recveives
- let me say - data from the digital sender and works them into
two files in a shared directory. I was a little disappointed when
we got our DS that it was not able to fax "out of the box".
Normally you need a commercial fax-software in addition to the
DS to be able to use the fax-functions. DS-Hylagate avoids this.
BTW: According to the DS Developer-Kit, DS-Hylagate should
also work with several HP ScanJets that use the same techniques.

> What I really need is a way to get rid of the Windows box. I have a
> couple of clients that have moved everything to linux servers and the
> only thing the Windows box does is operate the DS. If I could get the DS
> to "talk" to one of the linux servers, I could scrap the Windows box
> alltogether. As the hardware ages, I don't want to have to
> maintain/replace it.

There is no way having linux "talk" to the DS yet. But I think this
will change if HP continues to support the series. It means porting
IMSP to linux, for as much as I know...

Jan