Re: [hylafax-users] Error: (127.0.0.1,4558): Address already in use.

Daryl Sayers said:
> I am using hylafax-4.1.b2 running on FreeBSD 4.5. We have had this
> running for many months and have only had 1 problem that has appeared
> many times. I believe that hylafax uses an ftp style that uses a back
> channel for data. Is this what 4558 is used for??
>
> The error is:
>
> 425 Cannot create data socket (127.0.0.1,4558): Address already in use.
>
> On doing a netstat -a | grep 4558 I see that one of my many NCD
> X-Terminals is now connected through port 4558.
>
> bash-2.04# netstat -a | grep 4558
> tcp4       0      0  localhost.4558            di205.x11
>     ESTABLISHED
>
> Now I am not versed in the runnings of tcp and the kernel but I thought
> reserved ports went to 1024 and the rest are up for grabs in a dynamic
> pool. If this is the case, how can hylafax expect to have 4558 available
> all the time. Is there a workaround for this.
>
> --
> Daryl Sayers
> Corinthian Engineering                         Ph: (02) 9906 7866
> Suite 19, 401 Pacific Hwy                     Fax: (02) 9906 1556
> Artarmon, NSW, 2064                         email: daryl@ci.com.au
> Australia                                     www:
http://www.cordoors.com.au

My understanding is that many applications use ports above 1024, and that an
OS should use very high ports, as opposed to just ports > 1023, for client
type stuff. This post from the mailing list a couple of years back mentions
it: http://www.hylafax.org/archive/2000-04/msg00162.php . I've had it
happen to me a couple times on my Red Hat machine, I've just killed whatever
process was using that port and restarted HylaFAX. I don't have much else
running on that box, however, so its usually not an issue. Not realy a
solution, but perhaps an explanation.

Josh