Re: [hylafax-users] HylaFAX working for this idea?

+ Josh Welch <jwelch@buffalowildwings.com> [16.07.02 15:02]:
> Thomas -Balu- Walter said:
> > Hi experts,
> Disclaimer: I'm no expert :)

:)

> >    - sending faxes from the web-server to the fax-server (if it's
> >      going to be divided)
> >      -> Since HylaFAX is Client/Server-based that should work
> No problem here, check out the clients from the Links section of the
> website. We use a email to fax gateway here. Its great for simple ASCII
> faxes, would work for more complicated stuff too, but a tougher setup.

I am not sure yet, what they are going to send - perhaps PDFs, but if I
understood correctly what I've read so far everything that can be
converted to PS is okay.

> >    - sending ~500 FAXes in one night (not every night, but when needed
> >      :)
> With a sufficient number of lines this should be easy. I don't think faxmail
> on this one though, probably better to use sendfax or some such.

So HylaFAX itself can speak to more than one Modem? Nice!

[...]
> > What server-hardware is suggested (how much power do we need for such a
> > task?)
> we use an old 200MHz Pentium, 96MB of memory, IDE hard drives, doing mostly
> receiving, five analog modems. I also use this box for building RPMs and
> testing misc junk, never have a problem. I would say for your purposes a
> decent PII with a decent chunk of memory (Ghostscript likes memory) would
> work well. You can throw more at it if it makes you feel better ;)

No - as usually the central IT-department here on campus has less money
than any other department. So I was going to use a used box :)

> > And finally: To be able to account the usage we need to add prefix-PINs
> > for outgoing calls. Do I have to expect problems regarding sending
> > FAXes?
> So the fax server will need to dial a certain set of numbers prior to each
> fax? This shouldn't be too hard if I understand correctly. Since different
> people will be using different PINs, you will just need to make sure that
> the right string gets passed to HylaFAX  with each number.

It should dial PIN+FAXNumber for each FAX - so I'd guess it could be the
job of the PHP-Scripts that would initiate the faxing.

> > If possible, reply to me personally too as I am not yet subscribed to
> > this list. I am going to check the archive though)

     Balu