Re: [hylafax-users] Most recommend modem?

On 2002.07.08 10:56 Jason McMunn wrote:
> What is the best fax modem to buy?

If you have the budget I would recommend a MultiTech MT5634ZBA-V92 if you
want external or MT5634ZPX-PCI-V92 if you want internal.  Why?  Because
they are the most feature-rich modem I have seen, *and* because I have a
couple myself and will be doing most of my development work (including a
lot of production testing) with these models.

> I am trying to get Hylafax up and running in a jiffy on a tight budget.

Well, the MT5634ZBA-V92 may not be for you then.

> tried some internal PCI modems i had laying around... Of course they
> didn't work with FreeBSD and I read the line "Any external fax modem
> should work".
>
> So I ran out and bought the cheapest external i could find (A Creative
> Labs Modem Blaster).  It supports  Class 1 and class 8?!?!?!.

Class 8 is voice.  Class 1 is sufficient and actually very reliable in
HylaFAX.

> But when I
> send faxes with it, they are chopped up pretty bad.  The .ps files look
> great.  So I started trying to debug.. And I realized it was probably
> because that device was poorly supported (who really uses modem blasters,
> anyhow?)

Actually, send a log, and we'll see.

> So I figured I'd ask the group for some heroic success stories.  I
> realized my time is worth more than i thought, it's worth some $$ to save
> myself the hassle and get what need quicker.
>
> What does everyone recommend?  I saw about 12 on the list that had
> smileys.. but beyond that.. What do you all recommend?

Unfortunately that "smileys" list is quite old.