Re: [hylafax-users] Mac OS X configure / libstdc++

Sorry, if I'm 'escalating' the topic. I wasn't ironic, nor meant to be.
Probably my knowledge of the English language is not precise enough and
I slipped a bit...

I am too using the stock apple cc.
The output is almost the same as yours:

Welcome to Darwin!
[www:~] cyril% uname -a
Darwin www.macosxfr.com 5.5 Darwin Kernel Version 5.5: Thu May 30
14:51:26 PDT 2002; root:xnu/xnu-201.42.3.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power
Macintosh powerpc
[www:~] cyril% which cc
/usr/bin/cc
[www:~] cyril% `which cc` -v
Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/2.95.2/specs
Apple Computer, Inc. version gcc-934.3, based on gcc version 2.95.2
19991024 (release)

I didn't use the beta developer tools from April and I'm sticking with
december update. But I'm farther than you on the version of gcc...

I have been a nice reader, and created a UFS disk image to hold the
downloaded sources, then untarred them onto it. The code base version is
4.1.2 as was advised.

It fails very quickly in the configure script when it tries to compile a
dummy program. Here's the log (very short, as you'll see):

[www:/Volumes/untitled/hylafax-4.1.2] cyril% ./configure

Configuring HylaFAX (tm) (aka FlexFAX) 4.1.2.

If configure does the wrong thing, check the file config.log for
information that may help you understand what went wrong.

Reading site-wide parameters from ./config.site.
Well I'll be, a powerpc-apple-darwin5.5 system.
Using /usr/bin/cc for a C compiler (set CC to override).
Looks like /usr/bin/cc supports the -g option.
Using " -g" for C compiler options.
Looks like /usr/bin/cc has an ANSI C preprocessor.
... but __ANSI_CPP__ is not automatically defined, will compensate.
Looks like /usr/bin/cc does not support the -M option for generating
make dependencies; will disable automatic make dependency building.
Using /usr/bin/CC for a C++ compiler (set CXX to override).
Looks like /usr/bin/CC supports the -g option.
Using " -g" for C++ compiler options.
Looks like /usr/bin/CC has an ANSI C preprocessor.
... but __ANSI_CPP__ is not automatically defined, will compensate.
Using /usr/bin/make to configure the software.
Using "include file" syntax for Makefiles.
Using /usr/local/bin/bash to process command scripts.

Missing C++ runtime support for CC (/usr/bin/CC).

Compilation of the following test program failed:

#include "iostream.h"
int main(){ cout << "Hello World!" << endl; return 0;}

Usually this is because you do not have a standard C++ library
installed on your system or you have installed it in a non-standard
location.  If you do not have a C++ library installed, then you must
install it.  If it is installed in a non-standard location, then you
should configure the compiler so that it will automatically be found.

(For recent gcc releases this is libstdc++, for older gcc - libg++)

Unrecoverable error!  Once you've corrected the problem rerun this
script.

After reading that message, I figured something was lacking in libstdc++
or it wasn't found. I added /usr/lib to the unset LIBRARY_PATH env
variable with no luck. So I am still thinking that libstdc++ lacks
things (there's been some talk about it on cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com).

This is where I'm at. What I'd really prefer is become number 4
successfull ;-)

Cyril