Re: [hylafax-users] Installation of 4.1

--- Malcolm Candlish <bm@candlish.uklinux.net> wrote:
> After sending you my last mail I edited the faxgetty
> line substituting 'usr' for 'var' and faxstat at
> last recognises my modem. For this I thank you.

Good. :-)

> I have of course read the 'How To', but it appears
> very poorly presented and written.

A bit unffair. Even if it was the worst howto on
Earth, the person(s) who make it, spent time and
patiente to do one. But you are free to contribute.

> It is difficult
> to follow, seemingly lacking fluency.

Uh? Worked for me and I'm not a native emglish
speaker.

> For instance,
> I am about to set up 'Client Access' with /etc/hosts
> on the default localhost 127.0.0.1 and 'hosts.hfaxd'
> also. The information here is incomplete and
> inconclusive for the preparation of a particular
> function.

Altought hylafax functionality depends on /etc/hosts,
you are misunderstooding how hosts work.

> I still cannot run sendfax and can only
> assume as indicated that the default /etc/hosts will
> work in default mode. However, now via 'sendfax', I
> get 'localhost : unknown host'.

 I don't know what are you puting in your /etc/hosts
and $HYLAFAX/etc/hosts.hfaxd, but if in /etc/hosts you
have 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost and in
$HYLAFAX/etc/hosts.hfaxd you have
127.0.0.1
localhost
<user>  <-----after call the command faxadduser
and call sendfax I guess that you will get good
results. When you call faxstat what you see?

> In the happy event of this program successfully
> working, perhaps we could make a better job of it
> ourselves. I only hope you were not involved with
> this last 'HowTo'; surely not!

Sorry? Hylafax, with a carefull setup, work pretty
well. About the last "HowTo" sentence, forgive me but
i don't understand.

> However, no more carping from me, for I must thank
> you for helping to get the server side working
> effectively.

You're welcome. But keep head cool and think in what
you are doing wrong.

> Best wishes & thank you for your time and trouble,
>
> Malcolm Candlish.

Cheers.