Re: [hylafax-users] Query about multi-modem fax server

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 03:39:34PM -0500, john.d.tullis@ironcitidel.com wrote:
> I intend to set up a multiple modem fax server.
> (a) Server to run RedHat Linux 7.2
> (b) Current RedHat HylaFAX RPM.

Which should be for 4.1.2.

> From reviewing the archives, it appears that it is useful to
> use external modems (because they can be reset w/out needing
> to reboot the Linux host) attached to a multiport serial
> card such as those made by www.cyclades.com.

Such is my opinion.  Some people differ...

> I intend to have a trunk line, set up to "call hunt" by the
> phone company so that inbound calls can use the same fax
> number. That is, if I have 8 inbound lines, then when
> simultaneous inbound calls occur they should "roll over" to
> the next available line.

So far, so good.

> (1) If I have a trunk line coming in, how does that split
> into the multiple lines I would need if I had separate
> external modems?

"Trunk Line" is an extremely question begging term...

There are about 5 things you might mean, but, in general, what you
probably mean is simply Just a Bunch of Phone Lines, arranged in what
is called a Rotary or a Hunt Group.  Each line does actually have it's
own number (which is handy for diagnostic purposes...), but when the
pilot number is called, the call will hunt to the next available modem,
using a specific pattern (bottom-up, circular, etc).

If this is what you mean, then simple analog modems plugged into the
jacks the telco will provide you will be fine...

If, OTOH, you mean that the numbers will be coming in on a T-1 or ISDN
PRI 'span', then you'll either need a "channel bank" to split them out,
or you'll need to use a digital-modem card like the Eicon Diva, which
several people have reported having good luck with.

> (2) Now, assuming there is no problem there and that the
> trunk splits into multiple lines, one to each modem, and
> each modem is then hooked up via a serial cable to a
> multiport serial card, what are the mechanics of telling
> HylaFAX that there are several modems on the same serial
> port? I don't actually know what happens when you add one of
> these multiport cards to system. Does Linux then see several
> serial devices instead of a single serial device?

Yeah; you run faxaddmodem once for each line, specifying the device
name of the serial port you hooked the modem to.

> (3) Finally, I am posting this message in this manner so
> that I can avoid posting a bunch of "help help help"
> messages later. I would please like to get suggestions on
> modems that work with multiport cards. I have read that
> Multitech 2834ZDX modems work with the Cyclades 8Y0 card.

I like the MT's but they're Class 2 only, which doesn't take advantages
of a bunch of recent Class 1 upgrade work on the software.

OTOH, I have a client who uses them to send a half a thousand 7 pages
packages a week all over the world, and we don't bounce many.

I'd surely love to find an industrial grade faxmodem that does 33.6 and
class 1 that I could recommend with a clear conscience...  For my
target audience, I don't much care if they cost $200.

> But the posting was not recent. Does anyone have any recent
> experience where they can say - yes, this model external
> modem will work with this model multiport serial card
> because you have done it and have it running - preferably
> with RedHat 7.x.

If the multiport card works correctly, it's transparent.  It doesn't
much matter (to HylaFAX) *what* sort of serial port it talks through.

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")