Re: [hylafax-users] Large number of inbound lines (60 per server)

On 2002.05.09 14:54 Sam Wormleighton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I currently maintain an unusual inbound fax system. I say unusual because
> it
> is based on lots of custom perl wrapped around efax. It was oringially an
> outbound solution and worked very well, but inbound it is highly
> unreliable.
> Any fax in excess of 1 page has a very small chance arriving correctly.

Out of curiosity, have you had any contact with the efax developers
regarding these issues?  efax development looks to be dead, and I'm
curious to know if that's true.

> I must point out that although there are 60 lines available and all are
> dedicated to faxing it is very unusual for over 30 to be in use.. but we
> have maxed it out in the past and need to cater for that.

Well, and this isn't meant to be insulting, efax never was the correct
application for this project.  efax sells itself as being "a nice simple
program for single user systems" - essentially if you need to receive or
send a single fax, it's the one to use.  Did you not consider HylaFAX
initially?  If you did, why did you not choose to use it?

> We use Digi RAS 60 boards because that is what was available and as I
> say:
> it worked very well outbound.

"Very well" is a relative term.  You never were able to send in 2D coding,
which means that you have been spending more in long-distance toll faxing
than you needed.

> So.. I'm currently entertaining replacement software. I have little
> budget
> for hardware, so the Digi's will have to stay,

The Digis are fine.

> but I do have development
> time.
> Questions:
>
> 1- is HylaFAX going to be suited to a task like this?

Oh, yes, most certainly.

> I'm just gauging
> the
> water as obviously there's going to be a lot of r&d ahead.
> 2- has anyone else done something similar, and if so - how did you do it?

Personally, I've worked on systems with up to 48 inbound/outbound modems
receiving thousands of faxes daily and sending out about the same.  As for
wrapping perl and such around things, TPC does that in its sleep, so it's
fairly common.

I'd recommend that you contact sales@hylafax.org