[hylafax-users] getting started

Hi all

I'm about to take a plunge and try hylafax.

I was hoping someone w/experience could give me a push in the right
direction.

1) I dont even have a modem on my linux box.  I checked all the
'recommended' modems from the docs on pricewatch, and they're either not
there, or $120.  This is just an experiment to me, so if someone could
recommend a cheap modem that works well that would be great.  (doesn't have
to be one of those $4 modems, but i can't really afford $120 to play with
right now :/ )

2) I understand that hylafax only really accepts ps and tiff files.  Thats
fine.  I'm wondering which is more preferable though. I can't figure this
out from the docs or the archives. If this works out, i'm probably just
going to print text under some header graphic using python -- so i could go
either way without much trouble.

I'd really value input from all you who have 'been there', because i'm a
little blind going into this

Thanks in advance