Re: [hylafax-users] Some TIFF's have bad pages

On 2002.04.26 06:46 Dustin Puryear wrote:
> At 08:32 AM 4/26/2002 +0200, Bernd wrote:

>> I do not know how hylafax detects errors and how it reacts on
>> detected errors.

Errors in copy quality are detected by cqtest (when copy quality checking
is enabled - not in the modem).  The reaction is either to send MCF or
RTN.  When the modem is performing copy quality checking (Class 2/2.0)
then the checking is done by the firmware (Class2PTSCmd).  Again the
reaction is to either send MCF or RTN.

>> This also depends on the protocoll and how the protocol
>> is implemented on the other side. AFAIK the sender just drops the line
>> and tries again some minutes later.

This all depends on how RTN is handled by the remote.  But one would think
that if RTN was sent and the remote disconnected that they would retry the
fax if it were important.  Some bulk faxers do not retry after receiving
RTN because of costs.

> That is what I had gathered from this list. However, I was looking (and
> still am) for supporting documentation

CCITT T.30 is where you're going to find documentation about RTN/MCF.

> though because I've been told that "this didn't happen before Hylafax."

Well, that's interesting because I've had CQ problems (scrambled faxes,
"unsupported compression", corruption, etc) when using any of a horde of
Windows applications as well as when just using a "plain fax machine".
cqtest does have some imperfection, as well as many Class 2/2.0 firmwares,
and in cases where there have been problems, passing the TIFF through
tiffcp or ImageMagick's convert resolved the issue.

> So, I'm in the situation where the users believe the problem is either
> Hylafax or the Multitech modem cards.

Some modems' firmware can cause problems with CQ, true.  I've seen it
happen on USR Sportsters, USR Couriers, some Rockwell implementations, and
some MultiTech modems.  Again, in these cases switching to HylaFAX-based
checking (switching to Class 1) helped, and then using tiffcp or convert
corrected any further problems.

If you're having tiffcp generate corrupted tiffs from a corrupted tiff,
then you should bring the issue up with the libtiff folks.