Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax + WAN

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 09:32:27AM -0800, John Cuzzola wrote:
>  I'm new to the list and (relatively) new to HylaFax. My employer is a
> school district who wants to cut back on their Fax costs spread across a
> dozen or so locations. The thought was to have one central location where
> all the faxes could be received and distributed to the proper location via
> our WAN (email). Has anyone implemented this? My thought was to get one
> phone line and ask the telco for 12 different phone numbers for that
> line. Unfortunately I don't think this will work as I've been trying a few
> test faxes and AFAIK there is no variable in the logs that identifies
> which number was dialed so I can send the file off to the appropriate
> email account. I can't use the ID of the sender as the fax could come from
> anywhere. Has anyone had any experience with this? Do I need individual
> phone lines + bank of modems? (In which case we're still paying for the
> same number of lines and haven't saved any costs only added another level
> of complexity).
>
> Any comments would be sincerely appreciated.

What you're looking for is DID (Direct inward dialing).

4.1.1 supports this, with some help from the hardware, which can be one
of several types of ISDN modem on a 2-channel ISDN BRI line (if your
traffic is light enough) or a Diva card on a 23-channel PRI, thanks to some
legwork by Yan Seiner.  Check the archives for more details on how
you'd set this up, searching on 'DID'.

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")