Re: [hylafax-users] Chicken scratch

On 2002.03.08 08:31 Jorge Escalante wrote:

> I just finished intalling hylafax 4.1 on my Debian Potato, it was smooth
> and quick. However, when using 'faxsetup' there were two warnings to let
> me know that 'faxsetup' did not find neither '/bin/vgetty' nor
> '/usr/lib/ghostsript/common'. I checked and this files, indeed, do not
> exist. It is because of the lack of one of these files that "ASCII TEXT"
> files are not interpreted correctly by hylafax, thus sending chicken
> scratch to the receiver fax machine.
>
> My question is, where do I get this programs/files?

(Enter Lee: Tiptoeing soas to not set off another flame war...)

vgetty is not required, and somehow I would guess that you wouldn't be
using it if you did have it anyway.  This is mentioned in the error
message itself that you describe, as well it is documented other places.
See:

http://www.hylafax.org/howto/help.php#ss8.1

If you really want it, it comes with mgetty+sendfax and will conflict with
HylaFAX if installed in its entirety.  Many distros package vgetty
separately from the mgetty and their sendfax.

As for Ghostscript, it's probable that you either don't have Ghostcript
installed or configured properly.  Many distros have a separate
ghostscript-fonts binary package that needs to be installed also.  See:

http://www.hylafax.org/howto/install.php#ss2.2

And, please accept this as a bit of constructive help rather than anything
else, but you could do yourself a world of good by reading available
documentation before posting questions (specifically, the man pages, the
on-line HOWTO, and the mailing list archives).  But, by all means, if you
don't find your answer, ask it here (with a subject, of course).