Re: [hylafax-users] compression questions

On 2002.03.07 11:04 "Mau, Jonathan" wrote:
> Hello:
>
> It is my understanding, and it may be incorrect, that most faxmodems only
> have 1D-MH capability and do not have 2D-MR?  Is this correct?

Most modems I've used have 2DMR capability, but not neccesarily 2DMMR.

HylaFAX can send 1D and 2DMR in Class 1, but to do 2DMMR you have to use
Class 2/2.0 if the modem supports it.  This is a HylaFAX limitation, not a
limitation of Class 1.

>  We are
> using
> USR Courier v.everything modems and they do not do 2D-MR.

That's odd, but possible, I suppose.

> Does anyone have any make and model numbers of modems that will do 2D-MR?

Just about anything new should.

> As our fax hardware is a 700Mhz pentium machine, does it even make sense
> try to source a modem with 2D-MR?  Or should we just run all our modems
> class 1 and get 2D-MR by way of HylaFAX implementing the T.4 protocol
> instead of the modem firmware.

I can't really make sense of your question, but definitely run Class 1
unless your modem supports 2DMMR in Class 2 and you really need to make
use of it.

> We send about 1000 FAXs a day with a 16 modem pool.
>
> Does anyone have a config file for class 1 operation for the USR Courier
> v.everything modems?

It comes with HylaFAX: config/usr-xon, just run faxaddmodem.