Re: [hylafax-users] "550 Cannot set privileges" with sendfax

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 02:32:42PM -0800, Lee Howard wrote:

> > Whenever I run sendfax, I get an error:
> >
> > 	Login failed: 550 Cannot set privileges.
>
> See: http://www.hylafax.org/archive/2001-05/msg00011.php
> and its thread.

Yeah, I saw that, and while I certainly agree that running hfaxd as
root will *bypass* the problem, it's not really the solution I'm looking
for.  :)  Exploits for Hylafax have been found in the past, so I too am
ambivalent about running hylafax as root, even if chrooting works.

What reason could there be for chroot(2) and chdir(2) to fail when hfaxd
is run as a user who has write permissions on the directory?  Or is this
simply a known problem whose only solution is to eliminate the security
benefits of running hfaxd as a user other than root?

--
  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul@it.ca>
  Operations / Development / Abuse / Whatever       vox: +1 416 598-0000