[hylafax-users] "550 Cannot set privileges" with sendfax

I've been receiving faxes for years with Hylafax, and only recently
started looking at sending them out.  And of course, I'm hitting a
problem.  I've searched the archives on this, to no avail.

Whenever I run sendfax, I get an error:

	Login failed: 550 Cannot set privileges.

My search of the source seems to indicate that this error should only
be produced if hfaxd cannot chroot to my /var/spool/fax/ directory
(hfaxd/Login.c++), but I can't see how that could be.  I know that
sendfax is doing *something*, because every time I run it the timestamp
on the /var/spool/fax/client directory is updated (presumably because
sendfax creates and deletes a FIFO in that directory).

My hosts.hfaxd includes localhost, 127.0.0.1, and the hostname and IP
address on the box's Ethernet interface.  And nothing with this error
is being logged via syslog.

Can anyone tell me where to look for problems?

Tnx.  :)

--
  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul@it.ca>
  Operations / Development / Abuse / Whatever       vox: +1 416 598-0000