Re: [hylafax-users] isdn modems

procadas@creditus.pt wrote:

> Hi. I'm compilling information about ISDN modems that are working with
> hylafax because I'm getting trouble to find Zyxel resellers here. For what
> I've found in the mailling list the "good" modems are from: Zyxel, Elsa,
> AVM, Eicon and one USR isdn modem. I forgot any brand? If not, I would
> apreciate info about the models that you are using people. Thanks.

Internal:

the Digi DataFire RAS - very stable, works only with uni-processor
kernels, somewhat slow.  Digi has apparently sold some portion of its
product line to patterson(???) and they appear to be putting money into
the line.  I expect linux drivers to improve.  Digi has a European ISDN
product line that appears to be be much better than what is available
here (in the US).  I think it's called something or other Octo for the
quad ISDN board.  I used this board for quite a while.  (it's for sale;
quad ISDN, US$1700 new, used 3 months, will sell for $500.)

The Eicon Diva Server - very nice, works with both UP and SMP, fast,
stable.  VERY POOR documentation.  Most of my installation problems were
due to the fact that the documentation that comes with the drivers for
my kernel is not for those drivers, but for a completely different set
of drivers.  As a result, very difficult to set up and configure, but
once installed, very stable.  The default installation scripts do not
initialize the fax subsystem, you have to write your own scripts.  The
binary drivers from Eicon are only for limited (and outdated) kernels;
the drivers from melware are marginally supported and have the poor
documentation.  I am getting sporadic reports of fax machines getting
busy signals when lines are open.  I don't know if this is an Eicon
problem.

Both of these are internal PCI boards.

--Yan

> P.S. I know the Zyxel Elite 2864I
>
> Pedro Roçadas (procadas@creditus.pt)
> Dptº Informática,BPN-Créditus Technical Staff

Daddy, did all the hair that fell off your head stick to your arms?
Akari, age 4
  9:37am  up 3 days,  3:03, 13 users