Re: [hylafax-users] [hylafax-users] Re: [hylafax-users] faxgetty doesn´t respond to call

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 09:48:36AM -0700, Lee Howard wrote:
> At 10:12 AM 10/30/01 +0100, Wolfgang Riedmann wrote:
> >In my /etc/inittab I have added the line
> >mo:23:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty /dev/modem
>
> that should be
>
> mo:23:respawn:/user/local/sbin/faxgetty modem

"/usr/"

> do not put /dev/ there.  Furthermore, it is a very bad practice to refer to
> symbolic links like this (for reasons I'll care not to explain right now),
> so, I'd recommend that you use this instead:
>
> mo:23:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty ttyS1

Since Lee's tied up (didn't know you were into that stuff, Lee :-),
I'll fill in.  Short version: It's a bad idea to use linked filenames
to access devices which may get lockfiles set for them somewhere; you
can have collisions anyway, even though everyone's locking things
correctly.  So yes, try to avoid the whole Redhat "/dev/modem"
thing when working with HylaFAX.

Cheers,
-- jra

   "Usenet: it's enough to make you loose your mind."
     -- me