Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax doesn't send faxes

At 09:14 AM 10/29/01 +1000, Paul Gear wrote:

>My understanding is that faxgetty is only used for receiving and is not
>used in a send-only environment.

faxgetty is used for receiving and for HylaFAX faxq to have some type of
intelligence regarding the modem status.  The problems that you are
encountering are due to faxq lacking this information (i.e. it doesn't know
the modem is ready).

>Also, i read the info about USR modems & class 2.0, and it didn't seem
>to apply to my firmware level (the modem is an old 14400).  Was that the
>issue you were referring to?

You just demonstrated a log that shows a firmware problem.  So, how
exactly, does the recommendation to use Class 1 with your modem not apply?
The general rule-of-thumb these days with HylaFAX is to use Class 1 because
it gives us greater control of the fax environment and because our Class 1
code is generally better than most firmware Class 2/2.0.  Don't be fooled
into thinking that Class 2 is somehow faster or better than Class 1,
because it's not.  The only time I would suggest that someone use Class 2
over Class 1 is if its functionality is known with all intended recipients
before faxing or if for some reason Class 1 is not working with the
intended recipient.  Either scenario is very rare.