Re: [hylafax-users] Help selecting a modem.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 02:28:01PM +0100, Thorsteinn Sigurdsson wrote:
> After messing around with my current modem I've decided to get a new one.
> The problem is that I need a modem that can send to all our client fax
> machines (not most of them) without any complications.

I believe Lee (who has a larger statistical universe than I from which
to draw) will tell you that you're not going to get to 100.0% with
*anything*, modem or fax machine, even in class 1.

> Looking at the Q003: Which modems can be used with HylaFAX on
> http://www.hylafax.org/HylaFAQ/Q003.php the only recomended modem that has
> no known problems is the Multi-Tech	MT1932ZDX.
> I've only found 2 supplyers on the net with that make and it costs $120
> (quite expensive), and they don't send to europe. I'm sure there are newer
> models which should not have any problems, and hopefully at a more
> reasonable price...

The current model is the 56000ZDX.  I have one at a client's, and we're
breaking (anecdotally; I haven't actually run a spreadsheet) 99%
reliability with it.

It's expensive *for a reason*.

If you buy a cheap modem, well... have fun.  :-}

Cheers,
-- jra

   "Usenet: it's enough to make you loose your mind."
     -- me