Re: [hylafax-users] Newbie can't get WHFC to go

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 02:12:29PM +0100, Colin McKinnon wrote:
> Sorry if this is a little OT, if its terribly OT perhaps somebody might be
> able to point me in a better direction.....
>
> I'm trying to get WHFC (MS Windows 95) running with Hylafax (4.1 on Linux
> 2.0.36). I'm having problems with the latter but that's a different story /
> post.

Well, it might not be, but we'll see.  Why 2.0?

> 1) WHFC takes forever to connect to the server. Both forward (A) and
> reverse (PTR) DNS lookups seem to be working but it takes approx 3 minutes
> before it asks me for a password. If I telnet to port 4559 from the same
> client I get connected without any sort of delay.

Hmmm... This sounds like WHFC.  You've correctly eliminated the most
common reason for this.

> 2) When I print to my fax printer (Apple laser writer on WHFCFAX:) the job
> appears to get queued locally but never gets sent to the server. Once I've
> got logged in, the status message appears (Hylafax scheduler
> on  server.wew.co.uk: Running) and any jobs in the server's queue
> (submitted via the commandline utility which came with hylafax) are listed.
> But not anything I've sent from my PC. At this point the 'L' is greyed out,
> but if I exit WHFC and restart, any jobs are still sitting in the local queue.
>
> Any ideas?

Yeah.  It won't make Uli like me much, but I think both problems are
WHFC related.  :-}

Which Win95 (and why not 98?), and which WHFC?

Cheers,
-- jra

   "Usenet: it's enough to make you loose your mind."
     -- me