Re: [hylafax-users] Fax Extension Numbers

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 11:42:51PM -0700, Arvind Sharma wrote:
> I have got your e-mail address from hylafax archive. I

Actually, the majority of the DID questions seem to land in my lap
these days...

> have recently installed hylafax on my machine. It is working fine
> but i want it to work for multiple receipants. I have read your
> discussions on hylafax mailing list. I want to know how exactly this
> can be achived using a PBX. I have a PBX software named "asterisk"
> Can this be integrated with hylafax to receive faxes for multiple
> receipants.

At the moment, there are only two ways to dispatch inbound faxes to the
proper recipient:

You can set up the faxrcvd script, which does this work, to make a
choice based on the TSI or (if you are so equipped CNID) of the
received fax (I know the TSI dispatching is already in the
distribution, and I *think* that this is also true of CNID; Lee will no
doubt correct me if I've blown it again :-), or you can -- if you have
an ISDN Line and modem -- configure the modem to present the "called"
number in a fashion similar to the CNID (call*ing* number); this will
make it into the commlog, which you can modify faxrcvd to grep out of
said long and dispatch on.  I believe this is only known to work with
the ZyXEL ISDN modem; you might get it to work with the Courier I-modem
as well... and it all depends on whether the phone company will
cooperate.

That entire discussion assumes a direct line to the fax server; I'm not
at all sure you could do this if the fax server was behind a PBX...
unless that PBX had ISDN station ports, and was pretty configurable.

The problem, you see, is *delivering the information* in a fashion that
HylaFAX can do anything with.

Check the mailing list archives; I've made sure to use the keyword
"DID" in every reply I've posted on this topic.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink

   OS/X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows