Re: [hylafax-users] Color fax & HylaFAX?

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 10:26:50PM -0600, Lee Howard wrote:
> At 12:11 AM 5/31/01 -0400, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> >What needs to be changed -if anything at all- to be able to send and
> >receive color facsimiles?   The HylaFAX software? Ghostscript? TIFF?
> >My faxmodem?
> >Do I need a colorized phone line?  ;-)

Yes.

> I knew that there were color faxes out there... but I don't think that
> HylaFAX supports color - but maybe... I haven't ever tried.  (Both
> Ghostscript and libtiff support color.)

TTBOMK, there is not *any* international standard for color facsimile
transmision.  There are 3 or 4 manufacturers of either hardware of
software that do this, but I don't believe any of them are
intercompatible.

[ does quick google search ]

Nope; I'm wrong.  ITU T-30E appears to be the standard.

This suggests that the issue is that Ghostscript would need a modified
output driver, the tifftools might need some work, and faxsend would
need to be modified to the extent that it knows anything about the
internals of the files it's sending.

It's not trivial, but it might get done.

Figure v4.5.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink

   OS/X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows