[hylafax-users] Faxes not being sent

Hi, I've installed Hylafax.4.1 beta on my SuSE 7.0 Linux machine.
Hylafax knows that my modem is there and I have tested it using Minicom.
but when i try to send a fax nothing happens. i type faxstat at the
command line and get the following
HylaFAX scheduler on steven.jakinternet.co.uk: Running
Modem ttyS0 (828.1796): Waiting for modem to come ready
What could be wrong?
My modem is an external TFM-560X V.90 Voice/fax modem
im running SuSE 7.0 Professional with 128MB RAM
any help would be much appreciated
Regards
Steve Lavine