Re: [hylafax-users] USR Sportster config

At 05:53 PM 5/8/01 -0400, Dave Wreski wrote:

>Okay, so the usr-cts config should work out of the box?

usr-rts, it should.

>Can you recommend an inexpensive replacement? They receive a lot of
>faxes, perhaps it's worth proposing a new modem instead of resurrecting
>the old one.

As for modems that I've tested, I've liked 56K modems that use the Conexant
(new Rockwell) chipset.  I've only ever tried internals.  This chipset
should be found on lots of generic modems, the one I have is made by
"Jaton".  I've also recently been working with a Lucent PCI LT Winmodem -
and although I'm not recommending it, it has been very reliable in tests
(better than the USRs test out).  To use its driver module, though, you
need to be using Linux 2.2.x or newer.

However, from what it appears, the Zyxel modems probably take the cake,
although I have never had the good fortune to have a used one come into my
store.