Re: [hylafax-users] Firewall problems.

At 06:56 PM 4/22/01 -0400, Kevin B. Payne wrote:
>   Since installing Hylafax 4.1 Beta 3 my firewall  REFUSES to work
>properly for internet gaming.    System info:             Storm (Debian
>2.2.16) Linux x86  running on an AMD 300.     One 56 K Modem installed @
>ttyS1  that works for both hylafax and ppp for my internet.     One 3Com
>3C509B TPO Tbase10 NIC  card for my internal network.   Syopsis:
>Gamespy as just mentioned, and  MSN Gaming Zone....     I have no idea of
>the possible  cause of this, I have checked all the Windows machines on
>this Network for  unusual behavior. None of which could connect to ANY of
>these services.       The only software installed on  my Linux ICS (
>Internet Connection Sharing ) box in the past 6 months is this  Hylafax
>software which is why I'm sure that Hylafax is at fault on this  one.

I can't conceive of how HylaFAX could interfere with
ip-forwarding/masquerading or firewalling.  You can test this without
removing HylaFAX by simply stopping or killing the daemons - faxq, hfaxd,
and faxgetty.

>   Can anyone give me any  suggestions as to how to completely restore my
>previous setup prior to compiling  and installing this Hylafax software?

If you installed via tarball, then kill the daemons and remove the files
from /usr/local and /var/spool.  If you installed the .deb package, then
follow the Debian uninstall procedure.  However, I sincerely doubt this
will help your firewalling any.

If you actually haven't installed any software on a Linux system in six
months, then I'd say you're probably missing some fairly important security
fixes (LPRng, BIND, etc.) which will likely get you in some trouble with
worms, etc., someday.  If you have been keeping up on these - then I would
look to them for culpability rather than HylaFAX.

>Thank you for your time,   Kevin88 ------------

Thank-you for your HTML mail.