Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax + firewall

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 03:48:27PM +0200, dejou@sch.bme.hu wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Sjoerd Venema wrote:
> > Now my faxserver is up and running, I would like to use it from my
> > home. I redirected tcp 4559 to my faxserver, which uses a private
> > ipadress. I'm not able however to connect to the server. My client
> > gives the error wrong username and password. Does anyone know what the
> > problem is?? By the way, I granted permissions to my public ipadress
> > from my cableconnection at home in hosts.faxd
>
> If port 4559 is forwarded directly, then it should work.

Unless, as someone pointed out, the client is behind a NAT box
firewall, which obscures it's address.  I don't recall if the HylaFAX
server uses *all* of the FTP protocol it's based on -- specifically,
whether the server normall calls *back* out to the client for the data
connection, unless you specifically *tell* it to be PASV... but if it
does, then you'll need to use PASV mode, if your client permits, or put
(on the client side firewall) a passthrough rewrite module, like the
FTP rewrite module that Linux NAT firewalls can use.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink