Re: [hylafax-users] faxaddmodem won't see the modem

At 01:42 PM 4/2/01 +0200, Eric Veldhuyzen wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 05:18:48AM -0600, Lee Howard wrote:
>> At 12:55 PM 4/2/01 +0200, Eric Veldhuyzen wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I just tried to install Hylafax from the stable Debian distribution
>> >(version 4.0.2-14).
>>
>> Uninstall this and install 4.1beta3 from source.  I just did this Thursday
>> evening with Debian, so I know that it works fine.  Believe me, you *don't*
>> want to use 4.0pl2 when you can use beta3.
>
>Hmm. Really? I don't really like to use beta software on something which
>will be a production server. This version is stable enough to be used?

Quoting http://www.hylafax.org/4.1beta3.php...

"Although this release is formally designated 4.1beta3, it's far better
than 4.0pl2 (the last full release) and is, for all intents and purposes,
production quality software on any platform on which it compiles ;-) As
always, the usual caveats apply - take precautions and backup your
configuration prior to any upgrade."

4.1beta3 is "beta" in name only because there are some features and
functionality that are not completely finished which *weren't* present in
4.0 that are desired in 4.1.  The one exception to this is faxcover usage,
but that is only a real issue if you are upgrading.

Go ahead and look at the above-mentioned URL for the detail list of
changes, most of those fixes are fix a problem that is present in 4.0 code.
 You be the judge of which codeset you want on your production systems.