Re: [hylafax-users] installation woes: egetty?

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 09:34:56AM -0700, Lee Howard wrote:
> >> does not exist or this file is not an executable program.  The
> >> HylaFAX software optionally uses this program and the fact that
> >  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >> it does not exist on the system is not a fatal error.  If the
> >  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >> program resides in a different location and you do not want to
> >> install a symbolic link for /bin/egetty that points to your program
> >> then you must reconfigure and rebuild HylaFAX from source code.
> >
> >Perhaps we need to rewrite that message?  We seem to get this question
> >a lot...
>
> Seems quite clear to me.  For those that wish to use vgetty or egetty these
> messages would be very important to see.  Furthermore, faxsetup execution
> doesn't even pause here, it moves right on with the show, so I can't
> imagine why anyone would be concerned about these warnings unless they
> aren't reading the explanation - and if they don't read the explanation, it
> doesn't matter what it says.

Well, *my* perception of that is that if "it moves right along", then
the problem may well be that the message isn't on the screen long
enough for people to read it and realize that it doesn't apply to
them.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink