[hylafax-users] Jobs occasionally don't go

I have hylafax-4.1beta2-2rh7 installed on basically a stock RH7 box (Dell PowerEDGE server) with a Multitech modem.  The clients are all using WHFC on either Win9x or Win NT.  Sending faxes with something like:

[root@dell /root]# /usr/bin/sendfax -d 16162221944 ls.ps
request id is 28 (group id 28) for host localhost (1 file)
[root@dell /root]# faxstat
HylaFAX scheduler on dell: Running
Modem ttyS1 (1.616.396.8536): Initializing server
[root@dell /root]# faxstat
HylaFAX scheduler on dell: Running
Modem ttyS1 (1.616.396.8536): Waiting for modem to come free
[root@dell /root]# faxstat
HylaFAX scheduler on dell: Running
Modem ttyS1 (1.616.396.8536): Waiting for modem to come free
[root@dell /root]# faxstat
HylaFAX scheduler on dell: Running
Modem ttyS1 (1.616.396.8536): Running and idle
[root@dell /root]# faxstat
HylaFAX scheduler on dell: Running
Modem ttyS1 (1.616.396.8536): Sending job 28

always works.  Since this is the first job in the morning it takes a little while to start, but using sendfax always seems to work.

However WHFC clients get a hit or miss on whether the fax server tries to send their job.  Sometimes the job goes into the queue (I can see it with faxstat -as) but nothing "fires", and the job just sits in the queue,  if I "sendfax" a job at the same time, my job will go, but the WHFC job just sits and eventually failes with 0 attempts.  I am pulling my hair out, have searched the mail archives, etc...  and would appreciate any ideas.

Misc