Re: [hylafax-users] adding in new fonts

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 07:42:07PM +0200, Leora Bar-Lev wrote:
> Hi All!

Hi there.  ;-)

> I am using Hylafax v4.0pl0 under Sun Solaris 2.6. (The Hylafax came
> bundled with the application that I am using - so I cannot easily
> upgrade to a newer Hylafax version). The Hylafax is being used to send
> outgoing faxes, only. No incoming faxes. In actuality, the Hylafax
> works just fine, when I send out faxes in English.

Glad to hear that.  There are *bags and bags* of upgrades since then,
though, so if you ever do have problemes later, It Would Be Good If
you'd by then spent some of your Copious Free Time figuring out whether
any changes had been made that would keep you from upgrading.

I'm curious, BTW: bundled with what?  ;-)

> But - my application also needs to send out faxes in Hebrew as well
> - and these come thru as gobdlygook. I figure that I need to add in
> the appropriate Hebrew fonts. So now the tricky question - what suffix
> should these fonts have?? (I received a few different types of fonts,
> with different suffixes.) And where exactly should I place them?? Do I
> have to modify any files? If yes, can you please provide samples? Any
> and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Leora

The issue is GhostScript, which is the program that renders the pages
for you.  Possibly, too, you'll have to deal with textfmt, which
converts ASCII to postscript.  The former probably can deal with
Hebrew; typing

$ gs -h

will tell you where it's looking for its fonts, and what sort of files
you need should be obvious once you look in that directory.

Textfmt, on the other hand, almost certainly doesn't know how to render
Hebrew text (which I don't know *what* character set it's in) into PS,
and I'm not sure what would.

If your app can output PS directly, you should be ok.  If not...

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink