Re: [hylafax-users] Fresh system admin needs help - RH 6.2 + Hylafax-4.1beta2-8rh6.i386.rpm

Harry:

This list, so far, has been quite kind to me.  Allow me to offer a
hand/advise.  I just started w/ HylaFAX a few weeks ago, so my exp. is
limited.  As far as mail-to-fax goes, I haven't even started on it yet.  But
I do have a server that sends faxes (except for us-legal paper from specific
clients).

To alleviate possible headaches from what you have done already, start with
a fresh box.

How I did it:
I started w/ Mandrake 7.2, Redhat should be just fine.

get rid of mgetty-sendfax (rpm -e mgetty-sendfax)

Grab the Building HylaFAX from source document:

http://www.hylafax.org/building.php

Ensure your libraries are correct:
rpm -qa |grep tiff
make sure you have tiff  3.5
do the same w/ your gcc, ghost, etc.

From Hylafax.org, look at the CVS section.  Follow it.  It works very well
and compiles nicely:

./configure
make
su
make install
add your faxmaster alias in /etc/aliases
run /usr/local/sbin/faxsetup
run /usr/local/sbin/faxaddmodem
	If using a USR modem _lie_ and say it is a class 1 fax modem
add the respawn entry to /etc/inittab
check that /etc/rc.d/init.d/hylafax is there; if not cp it from
/usr/local/sbin.  Then you can

/etc/rc.d/init.d/hylafax start

test with
/usr/local/bin/sendfax -n /etc/passwd -d xxx-xxxx

try also /usr/local/bin/faxstat

to make sure hfaxd is running.

My last bit of advise:  Don't even bother with the RPMs - I see over and
over on the list the CVS is better.  Maybe in the future there will be an
RPM w/ the CVS mods included.