Re: [hylafax-users] DTE-DCE data underflow (code 43)

At 09:47 AM 1/22/01 MET, Alain Wenmaekers wrote:

>Jan 18 14:26:59.11: [ 2019]: SEND wait for XON
>Jan 18 14:26:59.11: [ 2019]: --> [1:]
>Jan 18 14:26:59.11: [ 2019]: SEND begin page
>Jan 18 14:27:59.11: [ 2019]: MODEM WRITE SHORT: sent 1034, wrote 1024 Jan
18 14:27:59.11: [ 2019]: SENT 50267 bytes of data

>It's not a computer problem, because my cheap LT w(l)inmodem works
perfectly under extremely high load conditions.

>Strange thing is that I've set the modem up to use hardware flow control,
but it reports "SEND wait for XON"? (and yes I checked the AT command in
the manual to set the modem to hardware flow ctrl). Isn't XON for software
flow control?

You would be the first person that I know of who uses HylaFAX with an LT
Winmodem.  LT Winmodems are software modems, not hardware, so I don't know
that there is such a thing as "hardware flow control" for a winmodem.

>Anyway...I've set Class 2 & xonxoff..but then sending a fax just hangs
hylafax.
>Then I set Class 1 & xonxoff...to my surprise this worked (even at high
load conditions)! Although I'm not sure how much I can trust this modem...

You're likely going to have frequent communictations problems with other
fax machines out there... but who knows? you're the first here, I think.

>Does anyone have better ideas to solve this...or an explenation what is
going on?
>(I'd like to use Class 2 if possible)

Nah, you want to use Class 1.  HylaFAX code for Class 1 is better than
Class 2/2.0, anyway.  If you dig through the archives, you'll see lots of
discussion on Class 1 vs. Class 2, and I think that the general consensus
is that most people will be better off in Class 1.  Such has been my
experience.

The only other recommendation that I could give you would be to use CVS
version rather than the simple 4.1beta2 tarball.  That is, unless you're
using SCO or HP-UX... or OpenBSD (from the last reports).  See
http://www.hylafax.org/cvs.php