Re: [hylafax-users] hylafax-4.1beta2-8rh6.i386.rpm missing init script

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:50:46 -0700, you wrote:

>Get the rh7 RPM file and pull the init script out of there.
>(/etc/rc.d/init.d/hylafax)

Jon, you need at least rpm 3.0.5 to manage rpm made on rh7, is it so?
If yes then you can
rpm2cpio <hylafax_rpm_name>.i386.rpm | cpio -dim etc/rc.d/init.d/hylafax
and look into the newly created etc subdir
or
rpm -i <hylafax_rpm_name>.src.rpm and look into /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
for the hylafax_rh.init script

If you don't have rpm >= 3.0.5 and don't want to install it just to get
the HylaFAX init script, you can try a dirty hack
cp <hylafax_rpm_name>.<whatever>.rpm testfile
echo -en "\003"|dd bs=1 conv=notrunc of=testfile seek=4
then use "testfile" as it was the real rpm, now hopefully with v3 format
header.

>Also, if you're using RPM4, you may want to give the rh7 RPM a try.  Has
>anyone tried using the rh7 RPM on a rh6 system?
I doubt it will work; they have made binary format changes between the 2
versions so that something compiled on rh7 has almost no chance to run
on rh6, moreover the path in the binary rpm are targeted to rh7.
On the other hand, he could certainly download the rh7 src.rpm and
rebuild it on rh6.

--
giulioo@pobox.com