Re: [hylafax-users] UPDATE: new rc files support RelayFax 3.0

At 02:30 AM 1/8/01 -0500, Dmitri Granovski wrote:
>>Improvements that I would like to see, but don't plan on implementing
>soon:
>>
>>* Multiple attachments can be placed on any fax-email beyond the
>automatic
>>print-generated TIFF.  Currently, these scripts only make use of one
>>attachment, and I have not tested what problems may occur with multiple
>
>>attachments.  However, there have been moments when I would have found
>it
>>useful to attach other TIFF documents to the fax-email, or perhaps PDF
>or
>>PostScript doucuments.  If anyone feels up to a challenge... ;-)
>
>Hello, I think that this feature is one of the most important for any
>faxing software. I have checked pretty much through all available
>hylafax clients, and have not seen one that would have this
>functionality.
>Unfortunately, I am not familiar with procmail, so I would not be able
>to add the necessary lines into .procmailrc.

This has been a pet-goal of mine, but most of my faxing is from one
document and application, anyway.  And in cases where I need to include
pages of information from separate documents or applications, I print them
to file, merge the files, and then fax the merged file.  This takes just
about as long as it would to print to file, RelayFax the last, and attach
the rest.

Mostly the problem was my ignorance, though, and in looking at the problem
again it is easy enough solved by replacing every instance (there are 3 in
the current versions) of:

sendfax ... $METAMAIL_TMPDIR/$ATTACHMENTFILENAME

in .procmailrc *and* .faxitrc with

sendfax ... $METAMAIL_TMPDIR/*

However, I cannot say particularly in which order the documents will be
faxed.  And you must remember that *all* attached documents must be
HylaFAX-compatible (postscript, ascii, tiff, pdf, etc.).  I haven't tested
this, either (yet).

>I have noticed, that you can only use hylafax's .ps cover page (or
>custom cover pages from within linux) - RelayFax's cover pages will not
>work. Also, pressing return key while typing a comment produces "%"
>inthe sent email instead of "\n" and if the number of comment lines
>exceeds the length of cover page, the rest of information is cut off. Is
>there a way to fix it?

To fix the %e to \n change the line in .procmailrc which reads:

COMMENTS=`grep -e COMMENTS | sed -e 's/COMMENTS: //g'`

to become:

COMMENTS=`grep -e COMMENTS | sed -e 's/COMMENTS: //g' -e 's/%e/\\\n/g'`

Actually, I have this updated already in my local versions.  I just haven't
uploaded to hylafax.org yet, mostly because I didn't think that anyone else
was trying to use them.

As for the "custom RelayFax coverpages" the problem here is that RelayFax
uses Microsoft Cover Page Editor to create these custom coverpages, and CPE
files are not faxable by HylaFAX.  I do not know how to convert these
produced CPE files into Postscript or anything HylaFAX-compatible.  If you
can find me the CPE file format description, then I will *gladly* create a
cpe2ps script for you (as I would like it myself).

>I am also curious how to implement a delay in dialling - I would
>normally type "," for a 2 second delay between digits - useful for
>calling cards, long distance or fax extentions.

It seems that any non-numeric non-[ -()]-character causes the RelayFax
client to hang, this includes the use of a comma.  I'd call this a bug in
RelayFax... but, if you can get it to accept a character, say "p", then
change the line in .procmailrc:

FAXDESTINATION=`egrep -e '^(FAX|CC)NUMBER' | sed -e 's/^.*NUMBER:

to read:

FAXDESTINATION=`egrep -e '^(FAX|CC)NUMBER' | sed -e 's/^.*NUMBER:

>Otherwise, this is the best and the fastest working solution I have seen
>with solid interface, even though I still need to run whfc to check on
>the hylafax's status.

I'll take this as a compliment.  You may also want to look at Cypheus, too.
 I've been impressed by it, although I'll complain about it crashing
occasionally.