Re: [hylafax-users] newbie Qs for hylafax4.0 for sparc

At 04:08 PM 12/8/00 +1100, Sam Lau - SunIT CTO Intern wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>
>I'm *trying* to use hylafax 4.0 on an Ultra 5 with Solaris 8.

Current CVS is known to compile on Solaris.  You may want to check it out.
http://www.hylafax.org/cvs.php

>I have the libtiff 3.4beta037 package installed.

not that it matters, but there are significant improvements between this
and the current libtiff-3.5.5 version.  You may also want to upgrade it.

>After running faxsetup it detects my US Robotics 56k modem on /dev/term/b
OK and
>when I do a 'faxstat -v' it says hylafax is running but then it says
'waiting
>for modem to come up'.

Does it ever say "idle"?  Some of the newer USR modems use a slightly
different AT identification string than the older ones did.  Current CVS of
faxaddmodem will automatically detect these new strings, but if you're
using a non-CVS version of HylaFAX (for the time being), then you'll need
to carefully prepare your config file.  Also, are you running faxgetty?  If
not, then the faxstat message is not entirely relevant as I am describing
it here.

> When I run 'sendfax -n -d [phone number here] [file]'
>from the same machine it tells me that the job has been sent to the queue
but
>then nothing happens...ie the modem doesnt ring up or anything. I can see
the
>jobs in the queue and I can 'ftp localhost 4559' or 'telnet localhost
4559' but
>thats it. The DCE-DTE baud rate is set to 38400 and flow control to RTSCTS.

Make sure you run faxsetup and faxaddmodem.

>Also, if I'm only sending faxes from the same machine the server process
>(/opt/local/fax/lib/hfaxd -o 4557 -s 444) is running on I don't have to
setup
>any users in /var/spool/fax/etc/hosts right?

Correct.

Lee.