Re: [hylafax-users] HylaFax ftp on port 4559

At 02:32 AM 11/7/00 -0600, Clay Daniels wrote:

>I can ftp to the regular port 21 using browser, dos command line, or WSFtp.
>What I do notice is that the files have owner.group of uucp.wheel and that
>to have permission to download, I must copy the file to another name and
>chown it to me.me .

I'm not sure that you should chown it to anything other than what it is,
but you do want to change the permissions on the received faxes.  You do
that in the etc/config.<devid> file... (see man config)

       LogFileMode
              The  file  protection mode that should be used when
              creating files to hold  session  logs.   Note  that
              this value is given in octal.  The default value of
              0600 implies that the log files are  not  generally
              accessible,  which is important if sensitive infor­
              mation  such  as  calling  card  access  codes  are
              logged.   If  log files are to be publicly accessi­
              ble, this value may be set, for example,  to  0644.
              See also chmod(2).

       RecvFileMode
              The file protection mode that should be  used  when
              creating  files  to  hold incoming facsimile.  Note
              that this value is given  in  octal.   The  default
              value  of 0600 implies that only the facsimile user
              can read received facsimile.  If incoming facsimile
              are  to  be  publicly accessible, this value may be
              set, for example, to 0644.  See also chmod(2).

I don't view faxes via the hfaxd "ftp" protocol, so I can't help a lot with
it, but I can say that the last time I tried it (a few months ago) I didn't
have any problems other than the file names appearing funky in IE or
Netscape... which may or may not be a bug.  If there are bugs with regard
to this, they definately haven't been made known to me.

>For my hosts.hfaxd, I'm was just calling out the ip of the client box,
>192.168.1.5, although I discovered that an entry of 192.168.1. works just as
>well and would be handy in that all client machines on the local network can
>be specified with just one entry.
>
>Also, I've been playing with WHFC from Transcom as a Windows client. I'm
>able to see the faxs in the recvq, but not much else. Apparently no option
>for download, but there is a view option that requires setting up Samba on
>the server, which I may very well do. Would a Samba share of recvq help my
>ftp on port 4559? Would Samba allow me to share recvq as a windows network
>folder? Any ideas?

A Samba share for the recvq directory may be easier for Windows clients to
access, but the permissions will still need to be adjusted as noted above.

Lee.