Re: [hylafax-users] factors in bad scan lines

On Tuesday, August 22, 2000, at 12:34:57 AM, Lee Howard wrote:
>>Y'know, Lee; that log looks an awful-helluva lot like flow control.
>>Especially all those incoming TSI's.

> Yes, it does.  It happens whether I use xonxoff or rtscts.  I haven't tried
> none.

Bummer.

>>The USR has some instrumentation for Line levels, though I forget
>>where, and I think the Supra may have an S-register for that sort of
>>thing, too; I had one to play with, but that's been 8 years back.

> I've got the AT and AT+F command set summary.  I've attached the S Register
> command set below.  I really don't know what I'm looking for...  so if
> you're really *that* bored, I've attached them below.  ;)

Check the USR's ATI6 reply for something with 'dB' in it.

> I tend to believe that you're right, though.  Either we're looking at a
> flow control issue or there is a sensitivity factor that isn't set
> properly.  Maybe both...

Marvy.

> S32     XON Charactor (0-255, Default 17)
> S33     XOFF
> Charactor (0-255, Default 19)

That's a couple of possibles.  Soft flow control combined with
misprogramming of those might blow it.  This modem isn't old enough to
have it's EEPROM smoked, is it?  I've seen people configure at&W on
*every reset*, that can smoke a modem in a couple months.

You *do* only get 10000 cycles, or so, I think.

> S86     Report Connection Failure Cause Code
>          0
>    Normal disconnect
>          1-3    Undefined Error Code
>          4
> Carrier loss
>          5      No error correction at other end
>          6
>   No response to feature negotiation
>          7      This modem is ASYNC
> only, other is SYNC
>          8      No framing technique in common

> 9      No protocol in common
>          10     Bad response to feature
> negotiation
>          11     No sync information from remote
>          12
> Normal hangup initiated by remote
>          13     Retransmission limit
> reached
>          14     Protocol violation occured
>          15-255
> Undefined Error Code

This might be useful, *if* you can capture it, and if it's available
in fax mode.

G'night.  ;-)

Cheers,
-- jra