RE: Motorola ModemSurfer Internal issue...

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Alderman, Sean wrote:

> No...it's not a winmodem...it actually is just plug and play.  They used to
> have an external model which was plug and play as well.  In Windows, I don't
> need any drivers, I can make it a standard modem on ComX (where ever it's
> detected) and it works great.  My original thought was that isapnp might not
> work right with it, but researching that yesterday got me no where

Great.  Well we could be closer then.  The trick I used on the twp
3COM/USR modems I'm fighting with was to force the IRQs for the PCI slots
in the CMOS.  Then I booted and did a 'cat /proc/pci | less' and looked
for the IRQ and got the I/O address assigned.  Then I used

	'setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq n port 0xnnn autoconfig'.

Started minicom and was going great.

I haven't tried the pnp tools yet so can't comment on how they might have
done stuff.

If by chance you've got an ISA PNP modem make sure the IRQs are given to
the ISA slots not the PCI bus.  YMMV depending on the motherboard you're
using.

Rod
--
Roderick A. Anderson